Friday 25 April 2014

The Walk


I walked through the night. In the dark, feeling the cold against my skin despite my jacket. I had walked to try and allay my thoughts, yet they haunted me still. With every step my mind only raced more. Each thought loud and accusing. Could I not find peace?
Every wall seemed to be a taunt. Memories cried out from them, memories of lustful encounters. Whispers in the shadows, lovers whispers. Breathing into each other's mouths promises that would never be kept. Eternal love that would not be so. 
My feeling of dejection rose in me the further I walked. Occasionally spying another couple, hand in hand, my envy spiking with each. I did not want anger. Yet my loss was biting. His steady breath made it like he was following me. A step behind, his scent, his strong pace. If only I could reach out, our fingertips brushing for the slightest moment of reassurance. 
He was a ghost now. A product of my yearning mind, my lost heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment